3.26.2010

The End of the World - WAIT - No.... it just got better!


God, I love Firefox. But since my recent upgrade I’ve encountered a couple crashes. 
Firefox is supposed to be better than Explorer, cooler than Safari, and simply tighter than Chrome. Even though the shiny new browser is getting all the buzz, and IE8 is looking great to some previous haters, I’m still standing with Firefox. It’s held fast, rang tried and true, and I refuse to sell my soul to Google – at the moment.
 While I didn’t discover the root of evil brewing in my browser (got close maybe) I found something else quite tantalizing. I did a bit of searching, Web 2.0 style, and was pleased to discover Mozilla is taking all the steps in the right direction to make me, the cacophonous and concerned consumer just  another faithful and Facebook savy fan.  Mozilla Firefox can boast about their 1.3 million fans on Facebook but check out their Twitter! Only 29 followers at the time of this posting so all social media watchdogs keep an eye out to see just how beneficial tweeting may be when trying to reach the confused public.  
Mozilla has a number of interesting online projects to help their users not only learn about the product but get the most out of it then fall in love with it and ultimately share it. SUMO Blog is one of them, short for Support Mozilla, and this Wednesday they posted about their Twitter exploration. Mozilla is attempting, through social media, to hold onto their fans and stomp out viral bushfires before anyone gets burned.
They shared 3 objectives concerning their new @firefoxcares account.
  1. Reach out to users who need help, using little snippets that could solve their problems. Long-term, we want to reach close to 100% of all users.
  2. Get a better understanding of the current perception of Firefox and the biggest problems users experience, and act upon that information.
  3. Prevent issues from becoming viral by intercepting and channeling to SUMO if help is not possible through Twitter.
I’m a big fan of numero 3.



(Take the hint Nestle. Everyone else is.)

2 comments:

  1. As always the biggest problem with using the latest and greatest in software are the glitches. Glitches and aforementioned crashes are the biggest enemies to companies and consumers alike. So while I'm disappointed that the newest version of Firefox isn't up to par to the high quality that I've come to know them for, it does not entirely surprise me that this is happening. If anything I think that this once again shows just how important quality is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advertising through Social Media VizzWifi allows you to do just that, to make more money by offering Wifi to your guests, and at the same time giving your clients a better service.

    ReplyDelete