4.25.2010

Machines + Cinema = Machinima

This week in my Social Media for PR class we discussed and viewed different machinima (derived from machine and cinema,) it is the use of real-time three-dimensional graphics rendering engines, like video games, to generate computer animation.

I'm a huge fan of Sims 3, and I absolutely love World Adventures. I've thought about making a video using the recording feature on the Sims 3 dashboard but I've never really been sure how to go about it. More afraid of the editing aspect than anything. While the machinima I found created with Sims 3 didn't incorporate mummies or tomb exploration (aspects of World Adventures) I really enjoyed them because it was an environment I was familiar with.

These two do a really great job of silent storytelling. Hats off to Maxis for incorporating such relatable facial expressions -

A story about a guy whose life is changed forever in one single moment. Great video.
I Go to Sleep (Sims 3)
“She longs for him, as he for her.” A really heartfelt short, the emotion portrayed by a sim is kind of baffling to me but it definitely works. Cool cinematography too.
These are all comedies -
Little Pablo: All that Glitters (Sims 3)
Just a lil joke movie. Really short.


Alien Dope (Halo 3)
A couple aliens get bored and abduct a human, who is a pothead. Hilarious.

World of Workcraft
(World of Warcraft)

From wegame.com, a group of dragon slayers seek out a new way to use their time.
A Day in the Life of a Turret (Portal)
If a turret bitches about its job and nobody is around to hear it, does it make a sound? You bet it does. “A Day in the Life of a Turret” catches two turrets on the job during a typical day at the Aperture Science Enrichment Center, and the monotony that lies within.
And although the rest are all visually pleasing I found something honest and eery about these two:
Earth Day 2010 (Fallout 3)
Oddly beautiful.
I'm Still Seeing Breen (Half-Life 2)
In a tyrannical world a battle rages. The “lip-syncing” part is really original I think, and it has a nice (yet rough) feel for a rock video.
Perhaps I'll play around with Sims 3 this week and see if I can't some up with a story of my own.





No comments:

Post a Comment